30 May 2011

2nd visit to Maybury State Park

With early dragonflies on the mind that would make new records for the county, I headed to Maybury State Park in northwestern Wayne County on May 30th. My first visit of the year a week ago only provided a female Common Whitetail (Plathemis lydia).

No luck with new species for the county, but I did see a couple new species for the season.

Several Ebony Jewelwings (Calopteryx maculata) were flitting about Sump Drain:


A few baskettails (Epitheca sp.) were patrolling the forest clearings. I caught one male and will try to ID it at a later date. It may be Common (E. cynosura) or Stripe-winged (E. costalis):


A nice surprise was a young male Arrowhead Spiketail (Cordulegaster obliqua) perching in a small Prickly Ash:



Next I'll look for this species in another county.

3 comments:

Emma Springfield said...

I have been to Maybury State Park many times. It is a lovely setting for enjoying nature. Your pictures are lovely.

Darrin OBrien said...

Thanks for the comments. Maybury definitely has a lot of habitat to explore. We've only hit a few locations.

Curt Powell said...

Very nice. I've managed one spiketail in my life, which was an Arrowhead in Hillsdale County several years ago.